Are are you interested in a fun fast-paced job? If you are, court reporting might be for you. The United States there are more then five thousand people working as court reporters. You don’t have to work in the court itself to be a successful court. Approximately70% of court reporters in the United States work outside court. These highly skilled professionals count at least three professional associations. They are represented by the National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) National Verbatim Reporters Association (NVRA) and the American Association Electronic Reporters Transcribers (AAERT).
- Smile! When you are doing your job you should be friendly and courteous. That make go without saying but far too often people discount the value the happy smile. Plus smiling releases endorphins so not only will you appear happier but you will feel better.
- Always show up early. This is important advice for any job. But when you’re dealing with legal matters it is important to be prompt and allow yourself extra time to get to the law office of court.
- Get the correct spelling any witnesses. We should ask for their first and last name. This might be self-evident but you might not have the right spelling unless you ask.
- Try not to interrupt, unless you absolutely have to. Sometimes a witness may mumble. In those cases, for the witnesses reading, you may have to ask them to repeat themselves. The more you can avoid this, the better.
- Get to know the laws for your jurisdiction. There are often laws the court reporters must follow. You need to know them completely. Failure to do this can cause problems later.
- Make sure you get copies a very exhibits offered by all the parties. Make sure you do this at the end of the proceedings or during a break.
- Practice your typing skills. The average court reporter types at a speed of about 225 words a minute. That is also the required speed for the NCRA certification. If you’re already a fast typer, that is great but you could also work at it if you need help in that area.
- Ask for any deadlines. For example, if an attorney asked you for transcript ask someone they need it. If an attorney tells you they need something sure you have enough time to prepare. If Someone tells you they need something on Friday, you should find out what time. A good rule of thumb follow “under promise and over deliver.” You do not want to develop a reputation for not following through with promises we’re meeting deadlines.
- Provide exemplary customer service. There are a lot of court reporters out there so you need to provide the best customer service to all of your clients.
- Return phone calls promptly. You get a message from a lawyer or court you need to respond as quickly as you can.
- Remember, above all else that accuracy is your best friend. You also need to take complete notes because that might be needed for future proceedings. No matter what else you do, you need the transcription provide to be accurate accurate as possible.
There’re a lot of benefits to be a court reporter. First of all, court reporters can set their own schedule. You work when you want to. It is also a job that pays well. For official court reporters, the base pay starts around $55,000. That amount is increased for freelance court reporters who make about $80,000. Another benefit to becoming reporter is every day at work Will be different from the day before it. There are no bored court reporters. Becoming a court reporter, will give lot of job security.
It will take work to become a freelance for official court reporter. The typical court reporter student spends about 15 hours each week practicing their court reporting skills. The time it generally takes to complete the schooling and go through the certification process takes about 33.3 months. If you are truly serious about becoming a court reporter it will take dedication, drive but this journey it Is well worth it. Is it truly fast paced exhilarating job with lots of opportunities for professional development in this rewarding career for work both inside and outside of the court room.