In 2013, 21,132 people were killed in car crashes in the United States. That year, another 2.05 million were hurt. That came year, 3,154 of the deaths and 424,000 injuries were caused by distracted driving. If you have been injured in a car accident, you may not know if you should hire an auto accident attorney. There are a number of reasons you should hire some legal representation to help you thought this hard time.
- The personal injury settlements are bigger when an auto accident attorney is involved. The best lawyers can get better results from personal injury lawsuits when the plaintiff has a good lawyer by their side. There are a lot of expenses that need to be covered when someone has been in a car accident. There are lost wages, medical expenses, car repairs and pain and suffering. There are often unexpected expenses. An auto accident attorney has experience in this area and has an idea of where those expenses will come up and what to expect. The victim of an accident may not have the right idea of what they can expect to receive and will ask for a loss less than they will need to get their life back together.
- They will take care of the grunt work. When you are injured in a serious car accident, you need to focus on your recovery and your well being, not tracking down and filling out paperwork. There will be a lot of paperwork that needs to be filled out and filed. Your auto accident attorney can take care of all of that for you. Filing out the paperwork is a lot more complicated than many of the forms most people are used to dealing with. There are also deadlines that need to be met for your case to go forward.
- They can negotiate on your behalf. Only between 5 and 6% of call personal injury claims ever get into the courtroom. Your auto accident attorney is experienced and negotiating. If your case does get to a courtroom, they will fight for you and be your advocate. This is not a place you want to go without an attorney.
- They can explain the process, including your rights. Auto accident attorneys are experts at this process. They know all of the rules and regulations. They know the process and the procedures. There may be a statute of limitations that you have to adhere to. They can make sure your lawsuit is filed while you still have that as an option. If you do not get it in time, you will lose your right to file and may be left at the mercy of the insurance companies.
- They have resources that you do not have. Filing personal injury claims is more than just a matter of filling our forms and getting them filed on time. Auto accident attorneys have an array of resources to handle all of the legwork that is involved in your case. They can interview witnesses, get the right documentation and hire investigators to look into your case and make sure you get everything that you deserve. They can take depositions and handle the myriad of things that need to be done to prove your side of the story. They will collect evidence such as video and photos. They can even bring in forensic experts to go to the scene of your accident and collect whatever they need to do their best job making your case.
There are some things that you need to do to help your case along. If you were not taken to the hospital in an ambulance, you need to get to a doctor and have your injuries treated right away. Any delays in getting care will hurt your case. People have done that to make their injuries look worse and this is a mistake.
When you see your doctor, you should let them know that you are thinking about filing a personal injury lawsuit. That may impact the notes they take. You should make sure you keep records of everything. You also may want to keep a journal of your experiences.
Having the right auto accident attorney by your side can really help you get through.