Divorces are very common in the United States and around the world. By some estimates, as much as 10% of the American population is divorced. During the first five years of marriage, a couple has a 20% chance of getting a divorce. For couples who make it to the decade mark, the chance of splitting up increases to 33%. If you are considering getting a divorce from your spouse, you should look into talking to some divorce attorneys. Many people, in this situation, are not sure where to turn. Whether you are looking for lawyers in Texas or Toms River NJ attorneys, there are some tips that are universal.
- Start off by talking to people you know and trust. As has been already noted, divorces are very common in the United States. That means, the chances are very good that you know someone who has been through this process. When you are asking around, make sure you specify that you are looking to talk to divorce lawyers. One of the best ways to find good products and services is by getting recommendations from people you trust. You may not go with the same lawyer your cousin Vinny went with but this can get you started.
- Talk to a lawyer you have worked with on other things. If you have needed any kind of lawyer in the past, you should check in with them to see if they know of any good divorce attorneys you can work with. If you are looking at Toms River NJ attorneys, you may find the legal community is smaller there and the estate planning lawyers who helped with your parents’ wills may know of good divorce lawyers in the area.
- Think about your objectives. Sure, one main goal is to dissolve the marriage but there may be other things going on. If you have children with your spouse, you have to think about that. Maybe the most important thing for you is to get custody of the children. Other couples may have started a business together so there may be legal issues around that.
- Consider the kinds of divorce lawyers that are out there. You probably already know that lawyers specialize in the same way that medical professionals do. There are more layers than you may realize. If you are looking to split up a medical practice you started with your soon to be ex-spouse, you will need a divorce lawyer who specializes in that. You are looking for custody, child support, or alimony, you should make sure the lawyer you hire has a lot of experience in that area of law.
- Do some online research. Just like everything else in the world, you can find good legal representation online. Make sure when you do a search engine search that you are specific with your location. If you are in Toms River, your search should be for “Toms River NJ attorneys” or “Toms River NJ attorneys divorce.” The Bar Association can help. Another good online resource is NOLA.
- Make it a local lawyer. Again, if you are in Toms River NJ, you will be better off looking at Toms River NJ attorneys. The number one reason for wanting to go with a lawyer close to you is that the laws governing divorce vary greatly from state to state.
- Set your budget. Legal help can be very expensive. Before you talk to any lawyers, you should take some time to look at your finances and decide how much you can afford to spend. When you talk to lawyers, be very clear on this. The last thing you need to do is sign up for legal services you know you cannot afford.
Getting a divorce is not a fun experience. Having the right divorce lawyer by your side can make the process a lot easier and go more smoothly. It may also be helpful to talk to a support group or therapist so that you can talk to people who know a lot about what it is like to get through a divorce or can offer professional help if/when things become overwhelming. You do not have to do this alone.